Monday, June 3, 2013

Opening The Doors To Fire Saftey In Nisporeni

Well, my last big project has come to a close. It's weird to begin the process of wrapping up my service. But, I am so happy to see the hard work my community has put into these projects, that I have helped to support, come through to fruition. It makes me feel proud to be a part of community who truly wants to see positive change, and are willing to work hard to accomplish this.

The fire department in my town of Nisporeni has been in existence for more than two decades and since it's opening has maintained the property and equipment with the utmost care and respect. This being said, technology has increased but the firehouse has been unable to make the needed repairs to maintain the safest operations possible. This, coupled with the natural weathering of a firehouse exposed to the harsh elements of Eastern Europe led to the need of new equipment.

After the tragic loss of the fire chief from my hometown back in the US, I was moved to take action in my community here in Nisporeni. I reached out to the fire department here to find out if there was anything I could do to help increase the fire safety in my community (the firehouse serves the entire region of Nisporeni in Moldova). After speaking with the chief of the department I learned that the firehouse was in dire need of assistance. The fire house doors, made of wood, were more than two decades old and were no longer safe for use in the winter months. Often on the cold days/nights during the winter months in Moldova the doors to the firehouse would freeze shut, making it a challenge for the trucks to get out in case of emergency.

I learned that the department had been trying without success for a few years to procure the funds needed to install new metal doors. The project seemed like a great opportunity for me to both help my community here in Moldova while honoring a fallen hero from my community back in the US. The planning happened quickly and within a few weeks we had come up with a project plan that would both get the new needed doors for the firehouse and provide an educational opportunity for the youth of Nisporeni to learn about fire safety. 

Financing of the project came from contributions made by friends and family both back in the US and Moldova through the Peace Corps Partners Program (or PCPP). After my visit home during Christmas this past year it didn't take long for my supportive community back home to pool together and raise the funds needed to make this project happen.

After, the funding was in place the chief of the fire department and I went to the company in the capital and arranged all the necessary details. Installation happened a few weeks after this and the doors are now in place. During the waiting period before the funding came through the men of the department showed their support by putting on a school wide fire safety demonstration attended by more than 300 students.

The entire project was a giant success and the community is so pleased with the results that multiple news outlets have covered the story both in local print and online sources. And, a huge thank you once again goes out to all of those people who supported the project both through word-of-mouth project awareness and financial donations. The region of Nisporeni now lives in a slightly safer place because of all of you!

The link to one of the project write-ups can be found here (it is in Romanian but can be translated into English using almost any online free translation website):

http://unimedia.info/stiri/sectia-situatii-exceptionale-nisporeni-a-primit-donatie-din-partea-pompierilor-din-sua-61339.html

(I asked that my name not appear in the write up. My assistance in the project was purely as a volunteer helping a community with something they truly wanted. It wasn't my idea and I don't want to take credit for the work that was done. This was something my community did and I played a support role.)

Happy Monday from Nisporeni!
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment