Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lessons learned in the City of Brotherly Love

I landed in Philly around half past 8 this morning. My army of bags marched ponderously behind me as I haphazardly sauntered through the airport. I was fortunate enough to bump into another Swaziland PC volunteer at the shuttle service. While our eyes grew heavy due to lack of caffeine in the bloodstream, it was extremely comforting to have someone to hangout with as we waited for registration to open. It's funny how strangers can contently wait out the hours with each other.

What became apparent after 6 or so hours of a pre=orientation orientation was the current state of reality I find myself in. Some things simply are not justified by our imagination, and although acknowledging Swaziland as real, it definitely has taken on a Narnia-esque illustration in my perceived reality. Which is actually entirely fitting.




Who'd a thought Swaziland had random lamp posts dotting its pleasant countryside?
While I was visiting camp last week (and consequently being an archery badass), one of my friends introduced a concept I had not yet thought about. Can you imagine Post-Peace Corps-Pam (PPCP)? I sure can't. The thing is, it wasn't that I thought I wouldn't experience some changes or personal growth throughout my twenty-seven months, but that while perhaps completely different from who I am today, PPCP won't be entirely foreign to me, while she will most likely be unrecognizable to anyone not experiencing her emergence. (Like I said, laughably philosophical, hehe). 

I've spent the last couple of months feeling lost, and as I move closer to having a bigger purpose it's becoming easier to feel like myself again.  Sometimes it's too easy to be caught up things that distract me from doing what I enjoy, fully dissipating my creative energy. However, the number of people that have extended well-wishes to me completely overshadows the previous statement.  Simply knowing that the dream that I have long since been working to fulfill is supported by so many people that have influenced me at various stages in my life is too incredible for words, but it makes it all the more easy to acknowledge that I am doing the right thing. So thank you.
 
Well, I should probably catch some winks before I leave the cushy comfort of this hotel in 2 hours.

Here's to the unexpected and not yet perceived.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to reunite with PPCP, but I'll be ticked if she cannot still enjoy a) TROLOLO, 2) Putin on her pants, or iii) slidin' thru mah hows.

    All signs point to PPCP still being awesome, so we don't really have much to worry about. :)

    ReplyDelete