Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sworn-in , now let's WORK!

Swearing in took place this past Friday, August 5. We all happily took our oath and from there left Chisinau on our way to our new, permanent sites. I affectionately hugged the other volunteers before hopping into what was referred to by my program manager as 'the commie-limo' that was provided by my partner to usher me up to Falesti. Luckily the ride up to my new house in the north of Moldova was uneventful. I was informed later that numerous volunteers, on route to their new posts got flat tires. I am told that in at least one case the volunteer was blamed with the fault for the flat tire given the amount of luggage we all have. I found
this rather amusing, given our luggage weighs less than an adult. we did get it meticulously weighed at the airport after all.

So far I have done very little, besides hang with my new host mom and her two grand-nieces. Yesterday host mom's brother came over and before I knew it we were all in his car off to some village outside of Falesti. It was funny to me, sitting in that car, listening to 'Noroc' radio, dancing the hora while seated in the back of the van, off to some place unknown, quickly being woven into the life of my new host family. We reached our destination, a home that belonged to my host mom's brother but wasn't lived in, perhaps an investment property? It was a cute little place, in need of some TLC, but all around pleasant. Though no one lived at the home the garden was shockingly plentiful. After we cleaned the old and rotting apples off the drive way we pulled out a ladder and made ourselves busy gathering apples, pears and ears of corn to take back to the
house.

The brother's mother-in-law also joined us, she was the perfect picture of a Moldovan grandma. She wore a patterned dress and a floral handkerchief around her head, she walked hunched with a cane, her face was well lined from years of laughter, she was awesome. She and I sat for a while on the porch, watching the movement of everyone around us. We talked, well she talked and I nodded. The conversation started much like other conversations I have had hear. Do you like Moldova? Of course. Do you like Moldova more than the US? They are very different, I love Moldova, but the US is my home. How old are you? 21. We will find
you a Moldovan husband so you can live here. I don't think my family would be very happy with that. Yes, these conversations often follow a similar pattern. After discussing a few other topics the grandmother, bless her soul, began telling me about her grandson. You see, he is a 23 year old doctor, he is a very strong and smart man, he wants kids, he works in the city but he also has a home in the country...at first I thought she was just telling me about her family, but as we talked I began to understand that no, she was in fact
giving her grandson a personal ad during our chat. Luckily I can still play the dumb foreigner card; smiled, nodded, and said that her family sounded nice, offered her an apple, and changed the subject.

The rest of the day was relatively uneventful, hung around the house, read and surfed the internet. Tomorrow, I will begin my first day of work...I'm wishing myself luck.

2 years...ready...set...GO!
Peace-out

2 comments:

  1. Lol.. )) Probably he is a good guy, you need to give him a chance))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you and congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete