Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Stick in the mud

Dear Mud,

We have never been formally introduced. I am Brittany, Peace Corps volunteer in Moldova. I have heard of your work, you are quite well known here in Moldova. I won't lie, back home you are a manageable annoyance. My friend, Pavement, has you beat in most places I choose to venture state-side. However, here in Moldova you seem to have a more prominent place in society. Your twin sister, Soil, is quite fertile, give her all my best as she recovers from such an abundant crop this summer. I understand that the two of you are close. I get that, family is important. However, the proceedings from last nights thunderstorm were less than amusing. My leisurely 25 minute walk to work was more of an expedition of sorts. You had your fun tripping me up as I clumsily slid through the forest and treacherously hiked up through washed-out roads into town. You even made enemies of the geese and ducks, who I had assumed enjoyed your damp essence, but instead took refuge on a nearby patch of cement. It's not that I don't appreciate your little brother, Rain, he and I have never really had a problem, he is a necessary evil, and gives me occasion to read a book and sip tea inside. But you, my friend, you will be an issue for me, I can tell already. I would like for this letter to be a warning, I know you are in your rebellious teen years and won't listen to my pleas, but please just keep in mind all the shoes you are ruining and moods you are crushing the next time you decide to show yourself in town. I will be watching you, you tricky, slippery little character.


-B

No comments:

Post a Comment