Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Site annoucement.... and a sex talk

Where will I reside for the next two years? That would be Făleşti, Moldova. Once you get past the name, pronounced 'fuh-lesh-t', it sounds like an awesome place. A rayeon center in the north of Moldova, a stones throw from the Romanian border, and a 40 minute rutiera ride from Belti, the unofficial 'northern capital' of Moldova. I am quite pleased with my placement, as mentioned earlier it is a rayeon center, or the hub of a sub-division of Moldova. This weekend we will be embarking on site visits where we will be able to make awkward small talk with our new host families and work partners. Updates and pictures to come later.

In other news, today we had a hub site visit. Hub sites typically happen once a week in the capital. There are pros and cons to these visits, able to interact with all the other volunteer (pro), having to wake-up early to catch the bus into Chisinau (con)....the list could go on but I won't bore you. Anyway, today we had the delightful topic of sexually transimitted diseases. Now, I have never been one to relish in these sorts of conversations, and my defense mechanism tends to be ill placed humor. So, when we were broken off into small groups to discuss the different STIs, and I was asked to scribe for the group, I tried my best to make light of this...sore...subject. Not to worry, our poster was complete with hand drawn pictures and statistics, including: "In the US 700,000 people each year are infected with Gohnerria...good thing we are in Moldova." Luckily most of the inappropriate humor was taken in stride, after presenting I slowly bowed my red face and returned to my seat. Yay, for training.
Till next time,
-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment