Monday, July 4, 2011

A bit of good ole' Uncle Sam in Moldova

This past weekend the US population in Moldova gathered to celebrate the fourth of July. As everyone back home gassed up their grills and gorged on cheeseburgers and beer, we here in Moldova partook in the Molodovan take on this American holiday. We too had burgers, and beer, a hot dog eating contest and a live band. It was a fun night, the drinks were plentiful, while the burgers were a rare commodity. We danced in the rain to a Moldovan band, covering many of the classics, that we, as Americans, can't help but love a little more being so far from home. It's funny how much more pride I have for my country when I am away from it. Luckily, I am in an amazingly fascinating new place. Blessed to be here, thanks to the country I call home, and those who dedicate their lives to keeping it free and safe.

I look forward to celebrating Moldovas Independence day on August 27. A country whose history has seen the overcoming of challenges, freedom from oppression and strength in the face of hardship. Though I will never be a Moldovianca (Moldovan woman), I am filled with a sense of pride for this little land locked country in Eastern Europe. A place I will call home for the next few years. The passing of stories and traditions between national and volunteer will continue to awe me, and illumine my little world.

Peace and Joy be with you on this day of independence!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're having a great time and still were able to celebrate in some way :) Loving the blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete