Sunday, December 8, 2013

Eating Mangos in Hhohho



You can really squeeze a lot in a week here.  

The adventure started last Thursday when Lomaswazi and I departed from my school to catch a khumbi to Mbabane. Our destination? The country director’s house. What was guiding us there? The aroma of delicious food.  Although we weren’t gathering strictly for our homeland’s festivities… the following day would also sponsor an “AllVol” event where it would be the first time that all G10 and G11 volunteers would sit in the same room together for professional reasons.  It was interesting to see how our two group dynamics intermeshed…and they didn’t clash like I thought they would.  The main point for this gathering was to discuss the new format for the VRF (Vacuous Rabble Forum)… er… I mean… Volunteer Reporting Form.  You know you’re an MI student when… you get really excited to partake in Monitoring and Evaluation, followed by a statistical analysis of the data you’ve collected… But in all seriousness, the new VRF mechanism is super cool, and I am actually *nerd alert* super excited to begin filling it out. But we’ll see when I actually sit down in January and begin scrutinizing my past six months here. 

I ventured home on Friday (after walking through an amazingly well-stocked grocery store… with cream cheese, curry paste, and many other magical things) with Thandolewethu the volunteer at the High School for the Deaf.  It was a nice trip home, and we got to talk about our experiences at the schools, and brainstorm a little bit about uniting our communities.  Although there are many aspects that are similar between our schools, we are living very different experiences.  For one thing, she has ¼ the number of students at her school than mine.  So it’s just nice to exchange stories and see what else is going on.  I won’t really go into the history of the schools, but it would be amazing if by the time we both fly home to ‘Murica they were working together. 

On Saturday, I attended Sanelisiwe’s daugther’s Pre-School Graduation. It was probably one of the top ten most adorable things I have ever seen AND there was cake.  It was fun to go and support her and act as a photographer for the afternoon.  It was pretty much a little showcase where the students read poems, sang songs, and there were even costumes.  Also, attending something like that made me feel like I was actually part of a family, and of the community, which was a really nice feeling. 

I had spent the morning hanging out with the ten or so students who had yet to be picked up by a responsible adult.  It reminded me yet again of being a camp counselor… waiting with the campers who’s parents had spaced about the pick-up time. I broke out the checkerboard and tried to keep them amused while they waited hopefully, not entirely sure if anyone was even on their way.  I think that’s been one of the hardest things to adjust to… the different role of the parents, or the absence of parents (for one of many reasons… the country has a saddening percentage of Orphans and Vulnerable Children… OVCs).  The supervision is also something that always catches me off guard.  Save for the kitchen staff who remained to feed the students breakfast and lunch, none of the teachers were there to ensure that the students were collected, or even picked up by the right people. I am still unsure if I should feel encouraged by this, or anxious. 

Sunday meant it was time to head back towards Matsapha. I was happy to learn that Sanelesiwe was also traveling to Manzini, so we got to ride a kombi together.  I then met up with Thandolewethu in Manzini. We had planned to go to the bomake market and buy some crafty holiday presents. Although not all of the stands were open (it was afterall Sunday), but it was actually quite pleasant. We were the only shoppers strolling through, and the usual hustle-and-bustle was not present, so I felt like I could take my time to walk around and not have to simultaneously navigate through hoards of people. I spoke with a few of the craftspeople in hopes that they would be willing to come to my school to teach some of the students their trade. One man who made drums, and incredible paintings offered, so hopefully that’s something that can be solidified in the future. 

Thandolewethu and I then set off for Matsapha, in a sense our home-away-from-site.  This time, as mentioned before, our training would include program design and project management with a counterpart from our community… This meant that we anxiously paced around the corridors of IDM as we waited for them to arrive… we all had a not-so-secret fear that we would be jilted and have to go back home. Fortunately, only two PCVs got stood up, but have the opportunity to attend the training again in February. (See… our fears were totally real). This was by far my favorite training since being here. It was incredible to be able to sit down with our counterparts, brainstorm a vision for our community, and address the challenges we think our community faces, and then work to devise a plan of how to overcome those challenges. It was just amazing to have the time to go through that process, and in relative detail.  I had brought Nosipho, a teacher I have been working on the Sign Language Book with.  It was neat to see that we both felt that in order to help our community grow, we needed to address the lack of sign fluency amongst teachers and students, and develop a “staff development plan”.  I am very excited to begin working on this new project (one, interestingly, that I had hoped would happen… but had kind of given up on the idea… look how life works some times!).  The workshop really rejuvenated me after a busy and stressful end of the term, and rekindled my hope and faith in those I am working with that we can truly achieve a common goal.  Things are magical falling into place, and it is beautiful… now we just have to wait and see. 

At the end of the workshop I traveled with Zinhle back to Manzini, where we met Tambile, a volunteer who will be attending the same workshop only in February.  We were going to spend the night at her homestead.  The drive to her site was incredible. We passed the biggest lake in Swaziland, it the landscape was a 1,000 shades of green.  I always get a twinge of sadness when I visit another volunteer and see their homesteads and observe their interactions with their families. While I sort of do have my own kind of homestead here, it’s crazy how different their experiences are from mine. It makes me feel like I live in a city… (which is not entirely false…), but I’ve always been a country mouse, so it’s strange.  Tambile lives in the foothills of some mountains in the Hhohho region of Swaziland.  The walk to her site was stunning, and her homestead was cozy.  A sisi offered to get us some mangos so we meandered over to the tree and gathered at least 30 mangoza.  We then went to the “little kitchen”, a roundevel (…spelling?) with a thatched roof, seated ourselves on grassmats and forgot to worry about juice dripping down our chins or the uncomfortable feeling of mango-strings in-between our teeth.  We then got to keep a ton of mangos, which was awesome… I’ve been eating like 3 a day… so satisfying.  It was a really nice visit, and we had delicious grilled cheese for lunch. Tambile’s hut is super comfy, and I enjoyed swinging in a hammock for a good chunk of time.  I think I know where I am going to spend some of my break… haha

Although kombis and public transport in general tend to be an exhausting experience… I really love having the opportunity to see how this country transforms from winter to summer… from desert to tropical oasis.  It’s even more exhilarating when for a second I comprehend the fact that this is my home. This, coupled with the fact that I feel like I have finally found my footing in terms of transitioning from being a clumsy mlungu to a volunteer/professional is pretty empowering. 

And with that, here are some parting words of wisdom from my counterpart, Nosipho. “Dig deep into your brain box… it can’t be empty.”

No comments:

Post a Comment