Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tis' The Season?

It's a typical Tuesday morning. I am sitting in my office at work. I am staring at my computer screen. I am thinking I should write something so I don't get the 'where is a new post?' email from my Dad. I am entirely drawing a blank. What should I write about? Nothing is happening... I am lost for words. (Let me know if there is anything you want to hear about... I'm completely open and hoping for suggestions)

Getting in the holiday spirit. How does one do this in a foreign land? In the US it is simple. It's made easy, because we all have traditions that fill the season and make it unique. We also live in a society that commercializes the crap out of the holiday, so the in-your-face approach will tackle a person whether holiday cheer is wanted, or not. Some people hate the commercialization of the holiday... the people who know me best know that I can't help but love the craziness of it all. No, I don't think that people camping out on black Friday is healthy or normal, but I do love the piles of cotton snow, countless strings of lights, and carols blaring from speakers forming the soundtrack of the season.

In Moldova it is a bit more of a challenge to identify the season. Other than the cold, it is just like any other time of the year. When I go into the capital I am able to detect Christmas, with lots of fake trees for sale in the market, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind. When I get on the rutiera (mini-bus) I hope for Christmas music, no. When I step out my door and can see my breath in the air, I hope for snow, no. When I walk through the center of town I hope for wreaths--or lights-- or a tree, no. It all makes finding the 'magic of Christmas' a challenge.

Now, before you start judging and thinking the only part of Christmas I like is the atmosphere and push to 'buy-buy-buy', I must remind you that I am a specimen of my upbringing, these are just some of the elements that contribute to what makes the Holiday season special to me.

I also have begun to miss the advent season at church more than I have in the past. I miss the stories, and the lighting of the advent wreath. I miss seeing the members of my community in their newest winter sweaters and pulling tags from the 'giving tree'. I miss the sound of the choir singing the classic songs that solidify that it is, in fact, the most wonderful time of the year.

How have I chosen to get myself in the holiday spirit? I guess it would be the little things. I have busied myself making homemade Christmas gifts for people, host mom has done a good job at showing her amusement of my crafting ability. I have also upped my hot beverage in take. This includes the special 'christmas mystery' tea I was introduced to earlier in the year by another volunteer, and digging into my coveted swiss-miss cocoa reserve that my grandma sent me. I also spent an hour streaming approximately five Christmas songs on youtube (slow internet this time of year translates into a lack of x-mas tunes). This weekend I have plans to watch Christmas movies with another volunteer and purchase a, never-thought-I-would-say-it, fake tree. The weekend after I am planning to bake Christmas cookies, and perhaps, attempt a gingerbread house. None of these things are grand gestures, but they are all small nods to the holiday that I hope will shine some light on this otherwise cold and dark time of the year.

I hope you can embrace the corny Christmas-land that surrounds you in the US. It's not perfect, but it 'Tis' the Season'.   

Peace from Moldova

1 comment: