Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas in Moldova

Well, a belated Merry Christmas to all! Christmas here in Moldova was simple but very unique and special.

The festivities commenced on Friday when volunteers were invited to attend a Christmas party hosted by the Ambassador. This was a unique opportunity for all of us volunteers, it is rare that an Ambassador would be so willing to open his home to group of strangers. We were given a warm reception when we arrived, and we were all shocked at the spread put forth that included some luxuries from home we all miss *cough, Dr. Pepper, cough*. The Ambassador and his family were so gracious to have hosted us, and I know I speak for everyone who attended the gathering when I say thank you, it truly made for a special holiday. It was a memory we will never forget, and brought a sense of the traditional American Christmas to our minds and hearts as we ate and drank familiar foods in the warmth of your beautiful home. 

Just after the party I ventured over to the North Station with a few other volunteers where we met a few friendly Moldovan's also heading to Balti (a city in the north).  They were extremely nice and we all had a great time making small talk and laughing about the differences in culture between Moldova and the US. We all got on to the rutiera (mini-bus) and continued our conversation with our newly made friends before everyone drifted off into a daze gazing at the darkened countryside passing by our breath-clouded windows.

The following day, Christmas Eve, was spent at a leisurely pace, we all woke with the sun peering into the windows. After a few mugs of instant coffee we decided to venture out into the city for a couple of hours. We munched on warm brinza placinta (pastry filled with cheese) as we walked through the main square and further into the market. The market is a hectic place with stands and booths lining up and down, row after row. We mazed our way through the different sections,-- produce, cookies and chocolate, housewares and everyday essentials, clothing and shoes,--all the way to the second hand clothes section. We meandered around in search of a diamond in the rough. After plowing my way through multiple piles of sweaters I came out with a gem. A big ole' wool sweater with a pattern that would make any ugly sweater party proud. I happily handed over the requested 15 lei (about $1.25) and carried away my new prized sweater. A bit more peering about and ogling some old Communist era pins before we headed back to the apartment. For dinner that night we got our inspiration from Christmas in July and prepared cheeseburgers, french fries and coleslaw. The night was ended watching football and drinking a glass of Ukraine's finest beer.

Thanks to technology I was able to share in many of the traditions that my family and I have back home. So, during the wee hours of Christmas morning I woke and booted up my computer so that I could Skype-in to the Christmas eve midnight service at my church. My dad, being the tech savvy guy that he is, had no problem hooking up all sorts of gadgets in the sanctuary so that I could feel like I was home and not missing out on any of the moments that make Christmas special. There I sat, thousands of miles away, watching on as so many of the people that I know and love took part in the yearly Christmas eve candlelit service. I was a big old softy and cried three times during the service, it wasn't because I was sad, it was because I was seeing all the people I wanted to hug, all the people I wanted to whisper Merry Christmas to. It was, as it always is, a beautiful service. I even was prepared and lit my own candle and sang along to the songs in my darkened room. The soft light from the candles was beautifully reflected on my little screen and when I closed my eyes it was like I was sitting in a pew. It might have been a little over the top to have Skyped my church service, but it honestly made me feel less homesick. Being able to turn the computer off at the end of the service and crawl back in to bed for a few more hours of sleep made me feel like I was falling asleep while everyone else in my little town also snuggled into their blankets. We were sharing Christmas together after-all.

Christmas morning we woke up and quickly threw on 'church clothes' so that we wouldn't miss Christmas morning mass at the local catholic church. I am not Catholic, but I thought it would be a neat memory to have attended mass here in Moldova. When we arrived I quickly felt out of place, not only do I not know when to kneel, or chant, or do the cross thing, the entire service was given in Russian and Polish. What language have I been learning? Romanian. So, I sat there silently for the next hour and half trying not to look completely out of place. When mass finally ended we all headed back to the apartment where I prepared a big breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and bacon. The rest of the day was spent at a leisurely pace, I was able to Skype with my family and we all opened presents together, and again when the entire family got together at my Grandmas. It was a simple day, nothing over the top, but for being so far from home I felt close.

It was a Christmas I will remember forever.

1 comment: