Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Full of Thanks on Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving! Ziua Recunostintei!

Today will mark the beginning of my first holiday season away from my family. I can't honestly say that I'm fully okay with this reality, but, this is the commitment I made when I joined the Peace Corps. I knew that I would be giving up the holiday season with my family and friends...but just like everything else, it is much easier to talk about it, than to actually be living.

Being here, in Moldova has given me a lot of free time to think. As Thanksgiving approached I naturally began to think about all the traditions I share with my family, and how much I truly love spending this time of year with all of them. Of course, no family is perfect, but when you are far from home, the idea of 'home' becomes a magical place where everyone is happy, healthy, and full of holiday cheer. At first thinking about all that I was going to be missing overwhelmed me with sadness and self pity. 'Poor me, I am all alone...' everyone has been there. But than, while sitting on a rutiera one Saturday morning, heading in to Chisinau to meet with another volunteer I realized something. I was sad that I would be missing this holiday because I have such a wonderful family. I was sad because I would be missing out on the fun. I was sad I wouldn't be able to drink too much wine with Dani and Hannah, eat too much food with Sam, talk to Lorri and Lynn about the 'new man in my life', and wake up at John and Sues' on Friday only to stumble over to Settlers Green to get 'the wicked good deals'.

I was sad because I have a wonderful family? No, that doesn't make sense... I am sad because have something to miss. I began to think about all the reasons I love my family. I began to realize just how thankful I truly am. This realization brought me to tears on that rutiera. (Yes, peace corps has turned me into an emotional sap.) Instead of thinking about how sad I was about not being with my family, I decided that it was time to give thanks for all that I do have: a family that fills my heart with more love than I could ever need.  Sure, it sucks I won't be in that little New England town celebrating with the larger-than-necessary turkey, but I know it will all be there for me when I get home.

And, even though I am away from home I am still celebrating Thanksgiving. Sure, it isn't the same, but in its own way it is exactly what it should be. A group of volunteers, whom I now call close friends, piecing together the elements of thanksgiving that make it a holiday; food, friends and much to be thankful for. Will I 'play it cool' when Skypeing with my family today, no probably not, but I will be filled with a deep thanks that I have never felt before.

Today, when my family sits down at the table for dinner they will go around in a circle and say what it is they are most thankful for. Today, I won't be seated at that table but they all should know that what I am most thankful for, more than anything else and more than ever, I am thankful for all of them.

With hopes for love and peace to you on this Thanksgiving ~

No comments:

Post a Comment