Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Year With Host Mom

How do you bond with your family? In my experiences its developed over years of living together and loving one another. But, how do you bond with a host family? It was a new experience for me, coming to Moldova and living with a host family.

At first it's just down right awkward. Not only did I not know the language, but I had never been placed in a situation that resembled this before. I didn't know where I fit in, what my role was. Was I just a person renting a bedroom in their house? Was I just the strange foreign girl who spent a lot of time in her room? At first this is how it feels, just trying to blend into the background and not ruffle feathers.

But then, after about a month of quiet dinners it's time to make the move towards a new sort of relationship. I started slowly with host mom, bringing up simple subjects to discuss. Before I knew it we were talking about our lives, our hopes for the future, advanced subjects of conversation that later I would think about and wonder how I understand anything that was discussed. Host mom (this is her name to me thus the lack of 'my' in front of host mom) has easily become my best host-country national friend in Moldova. I tell her everything and in turn she does the same. It's a pretty great relationship, I find myself missing home (in Moldova) when I am way in the capital or visiting other volunteers. I consider myself exceedingly blessed to have been able to live with her.

This week marks a full year in Nisporeni, and a full year with host mom. We have come a long way. In this year not only did I meet her, but I got to know her and her family. This past year I attended family parties, helped with house work, went to a family christening, attended a wedding, made house wine, conserved fruits and vegetables, had visitors, and began to call Nisporeni my home. I can honestly say that after this year living in Nisporeni I will always call Moldova my second home. Peace Corps is a roller coaster ride for emotions, health, and mental well-being, but I have had many of my high moments here when simply sitting at a table drinking tea with host mom.

Our latest form of bonding has come from a Turkish TV series, Suleyman Magnificul, we watch every Monday and Tuesday night from 8-10:30pm. The series is in Turkish with Romanian subtitles, if asked a year ago if I would be reading a foreign film in a foreign language I would've laughed. But, without fail we watch, it's dramatic and over-the-top and host mom and I can't get enough. Later in the week we discuss what happened and our predictions for the next weeks show. --'I don't think she killed him.' 'I agree but, she does have a temper. I wonder if the Sultan will bring her back to court because he loves her.' -- These are the things that bring us together, the things I will always remember from my time here.

Multumesc mama gazda, a fost un an placut cu dumneavoastra. Sper ca inca un an impreuna cu multi fericiti.
Thank you host mom, it was a enjoyable year with you. I hope we will have another happy year together. 

Peace to you, on this last day of October.


4 comments:

  1. As vreau sa va multumesc pentru ce faceti in Moldova.

    Eu m-am nascut in Bucuresti, dar sunt acuma American.

    Cand faceam vizita la relatii de peste 10 ani de trecut, si le trimiteam bani ca ajutor personal, nu m-am gandit la ajutorul tarii.

    Dar asa sa intimplat. Romania acuma este in EU si intro mai buna situatie economica.

    Asa o sa se intimple si in Moldova. Americanii si Europenii fiind acolo ca exemplu the prosperitate le arata un nivel de viata mai buna. Asta va fi reflectat in electiile si legile, si legaturile lor.

    Asa sa intimplat in Romania, si asa se va intimpla si in Moldova.

    Multumesc mult la dvs. personal, si la Corpul Pacii in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for what you do in Moldova.

    I was born in Bucharest, Romania, but I am now American.

    When I was visiting relatives, over the past 10 years, and I was sending them money to survive, I did it for them, not for the country.

    But it so happened that I helped the country as well. Romania is now in the EU and is in a better economic situation.

    This is will also happen in Moldova. Americans and Europeans' presence there shows them an example of prosperity and a better life (that they can achieve themselves).

    This will be reflected in elections, laws and economic ties.

    Thank you to you personally, and to the Peace Corps in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Multumesc pentru commenta asta. Ma bucur sa fi aici in Moldova, si imi place mult la oameni si cultura vostru. Noroc, Michael

    ReplyDelete