Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rekindling The Fire

Lately I have realized how my thoughts quickly jump ahead to the future. What does the future have in store for me? It's quite a looming question, what will I do after Peace Corps? So looming in fact I have already begun to lose sleep over what I will do, where I will live, when this will all happen. You get the idea. All of these thoughts have consumed me the past month or so. This was brought on by seeing the year of volunteers ahead of me leave and struggle to find their place back in the US.

I have realized that worrying is one of my favorite things to do. But, really where does worrying get a person? Besides curled into the fetal position with a stomach ache. So, I am officially challenging myself.
Challenging myself to live more in the moment and less worried about what the future holds. Life has worked out pretty well thus far. I  will always be type A, to the point of no return. I know I will stress over the little things and fear for what my future will be, but I must not let that ruin the present.

So here is my challenge to myself: I will live in the moment and appreciate the beautiful country and people who surround me. I will take in the little bits of sunshine left before the winter. I will eat all the grapes I can fit in my stomach before they turn to raisins. I will get crafty in my free time. I will work hard with my work partners, and be okay if this doesn't equate to the grand development I had originally hoped to see. I will share stories and laughter and tea with my host mom. I will remember to smile at people, even if they think I am crazy in the head. I will not take the relationships in my life for granted and I'll learn to give more praise for all the wonderful things people are doing.

And, I will work everyday to rekindle the fire I had inside me when I joined the Peace Corps, 15 months ago.  

Peace to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment