Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dad

Today, I wish my dad a very happy birthday!

It is tough being away from home but, having a strong support system back home makes life far away much easier. My dad has always been my support system, we developed a strong bond early in my life, besides the fact that he is my father, he is also a widowed single parent. A newly single parent with a four year old and a new born. It shocks me how well he handled the situation he was given. I remember asking him some years ago how he didn't just fall apart, he simply responded 'that wasn't an option'. This is the kind of person my father is. He is a strong, fiercely loving human who deserves a throne up in heaven. He never let his situation become a crutch to get away with bad behavior, and he never let his children use it as a crutch either. He taught us how to be resilient, empathetic, and strong. A common saying in our house was, and to this day remains, 'life isn't fair'.

 My brother and I are so very lucky to have been raised by our amazing dad. As I grow up I realize more and more how challenging it must have been for him to try and juggle his successful career while raising children with a strong set of morals, integrity and respect for others. Of course, my brother and I are not perfect, we often run from perfection, but I know that everything we do, we work to make our dad proud. We know he is proud, he reminds us of this all the time. But, again, he is biased and would be proud no matter what we did (perhaps with a few exceptions). One of his proudest accomplishments is the bond that he was able to forge between my brother and I. For awhile there I don't know if anyone would have seen the day when Brittany and Sam would get along but, with years of wisdom and maturity has come a really remarkable friendship. For that alone, my brother and I are forever indebted to our father. 

So today, on my Dad's birthday I dedicate this post to him (no, it's not a birthday cake but, what do you expect from thousands of miles away). With a butterfly kiss and a glove compartment full of pearls of wisdom, I thank you and love you more than you will ever truly know!

Love and Peace on this Spring day

No comments:

Post a Comment