Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Observations of a winter in Moldova

Well, now that it looks like the snow has begun to melt and the sun is gracing us with its presence for a few moments more with every passing day, I suppose I can now reflect on a winter in Moldova.

 *Insert hopeful spring-is-coming dance here*

For those of us volunteers who come from the northern part of the US winter is not a terribly big deal, an inconvenience, yes, a big deal, puh-lease. So, I was enjoying the 'mild' winter, waiting for the dreaded snow and cold that volunteers who have lived here longer promised would come. Well, it came. It waited until February but mother nature made sure we had our fair share. I just think of her sitting up wherever it is she sits laughing her rear side off at all of us suckers having to deal with it. Thinking about it now the accumulation wasn't that great. All in all we probably got about 5 feet taking into account melting. I'm not saying five feet is a lot of snow, I'm just saying its a different sort of experience getting snow in a developing country than it is getting snow in my beloved NH. In NH, we have snow plows that happily chug along all night long making sure our drive to work is as simple and safe as possible. In Moldova, the sun is the snow plow. Driving to work in winter means going to the car 10 minutes early, starting it and blasting the heat. Walking to work in winter means bundling up in about six layers of clothes, strapping barbed webs on the bottom of ones boots before making the 2.5 mile trek to work. No, winter at home is not equal to winter in Moldova.

Some people have come up with interesting ways to deal with the cold of winter. My personal solution includes a base layer of spandex/polyester that never is removed from my body. Other volunteers have their ways of getting through a bitterly cold day. One of my favorites is a volunteer who made the smart investment of buying a Turkish heating blanket that she lied down under the sheets of her bed. She fondly refers to the blanket as her Turkish boyfriend...talk about getting hot under covers. The bus system, too has an interesting approach to heating. I was shocked when I hoped on a bus to get a ride to the station in my town and realized after I got on the bus that it was being heated by an open-flame contained fire. No, I don't think that would meet the safety regulations in the US. But hey, what says adventure more than worrying about exploding going over a bump on the road?

The two main heating systems in Moldova are both gas and wood burning. The stove used to heat the home is called a soba, many homes still rely solely on this heating system. Gas is available but, is imported from Russia at a high premium and is often more expensive than most families can afford on their salary. This brings new light to my dad's strict 65°F policy. Pff, 65° that's tee-shirt and shorts weather.

Fair warning, the following refers to the bathroom situation. Great, well you have been warned. But, before I end my post I figure it wouldn't be complete without a mention of the outhouse in winter. Now, if you are fortunate volunteer like myself, you have indoor plumbing that has held up in these long winter months. Some of my friends are not so lucky. This leads to what we like to call the poop pyramid, a frozen mass of fecal matter that must be gone at with a long solid object so that the hole does not run over.(You are welcome for that visual ;) ) Also, the small room can become quite slippery if you don't have perfect aim when it comes to #1, which I don't. Let's just say any part of my body falling into that hole, that isn't meant to be going into that hole, is one of my worst nightmares. And there you have it, a short glimpse into some of the differences between the happy porcelain thrones we have at home, and the bathroom situation in Moldova.

Here is to hoping that Spring is near. Martsisor is a Moldovan holiday on the first of March signifying the start of spring. You give a ribbon pin with a red flower and a white flower to all the people in your life. It is symbolic for a bountiful and blessed coming season. I have stocked up on my ribbons, let the pinning begin!

All for now,
Happy Leap Year everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment