Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mother Nature and I had a chat

Buna ziua friends,

From a young age in the U.S. we are taught that rain is displeasing. As school  children we sang 'Rain, rain, go away! Come again another day.' Treating rain as a necessary evil. We grew up and became adults who, at the sight of rain quickly deploy our umbrellas as temporary shelters, to shield us from the dreaded rain. Now, had I done a better job packing and brought my umbrella who knows if I would have noticed the rain today. Alas, I did not pack the umbrella and so I did notice the rain today. On my walk home from school it began, I quickly found refuge under a tree (natures umbrella). As I stood there, annoyed by the delay in getting to my 'putin obosit' (little nap), I began to shift my thoughts to the rain. I have always heard the rain but never really listened. It was lovely, a new kind of music that I had never cared to pay attention to before. (But, now given my new 'simpler' lifestyle I am able to see things new again, a rebirth of sorts. This rebirth comes complete with learning how to use the restroom...sorry getting off topic.) I emerged from beneath the tree before the end of the shower, I was curious to hear the contrast in tones against different surfaces. I know what you are thinking, 'oh, that's nice, Brittany has gone and strengthened her hippy instincts.' I suppose that could be part of it, but largely it echoed the inter-connectedness of the natural world. A reminder that much of the world is the same, a reminder that home and far away are not so far apart afterall.

On another note: I tried the traditional chicken jello. It is traditional. It is chicken. It is jello. So much of Moldova on my plate. Let's just say, I was full fast.  ;D

Noapte Buna,
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment